Sunday 23 February 2014

I love hockey!

And so, two weeks after the Winter Olympics began its crazy set of events in Sochi, we reach the climax of the Games – the men’s ice hockey final in the Bolshoy Ice DomeI’ve enjoyed ice hockey for a number of years, and it’s great to see it brought to British television, even if it is only once every four years.

Bolshoy Ice Dome, Sochi

So, who do we fancy for the gold medal?  It’s hard to bet against the defending champions, Canada, especially after their moral-boosting win over the USA in the semi-finals.  On the flip side, I’ve been watching the Swedish team with some interest – the Buffalo Sabres are well-represented here, with defensemen Jhonas Enroth and Henrik Tallinder both playing in yellow.  They're both cracking sides, each capable of winning gold so, like with all sports, it depends who turns up on the day.

Canada beat the USA in a thrilling semi-final

On the subject of colours, I had a brilliant find yesterday – this amazing Finland hockey jersey for only £16 from everyone’s favourite bargain store, TK Maxx.  Well, what’s a fella to do except buy it, especially when I have such a great collection to maintain; I’m hoping it will one day be as good as the sports shop in Banff!


A bargain buy!
Sports shop in Banff, Alberta (2011)
I’ll hopefully be enjoying a really good hockey final today, and as my photo might suggest, I’ve decided to nail my colours to the mast.  Not that it will go down ever so well with our resident wolf dog, Diefenbacker, a proud Canadian from Alberta. 

Diefs

Divided loyalties at home

Good luck Sweden, and all the best Canada!  Now let’s play hockey!

No comments:

Post a Comment