Sunday 13 December 2015

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas...

Ooooooo, they're here!  A lady called Elle, who lives in Texas, left a comment here back in the summer, saying that she was looking forward to the yearly appearance of these little wooden gems - and Elle, I share your excitement.  It's always a pleasure meet these colourful little characters again, they've become a real Christmas tradition in our household.


Yes, Christmas has arrived at Number Three, with all the usual excitement.  Our tree is a hotchpotch collection of hanging decorations, but that's just the way we like it.  No standard, corporate fir here, and each and every decoration has a personal story behind it.  Some were stalwarts of my childhood days, whilst others are far more recent; we have decorations bought in other countries, and even some given as gifts.  It all makes a tree that is uniquely personal to us, and one that makes me smile every time I give it a glance, because fond memories are hanging off every branch.


Amongst new decoration found this year in the shops, a wooden Nativity from the man at Marks and Spencer.  I'm not sure if this is supposed to be a children's toy, but I was instantly struck by its loveliness.  It has a style that I imagine fits in at a Ukrainian Orthodox church; it captured my heart and, since I have been lacking in a Nativity scene of my own, it came home as a reminder of the true meaning of Christmas.


There are many other little delights being stashed all over the house, but I really couldn't finish this blog without a little nod to our Lego winter village, fast taking on a life of its own.  This year it's on the dining room windowsill, and I'm not ashamed to admit there's a lot of fun to be had in arranging and rearranging the minifigures, setting them about their Christmas shopping, carolling, ice skating, or simply knocking back a glass of gluhwein.  Maybe I'm a big kid, but it has an innocence that just appeals to the Christmas spirit in me, like looking into a Bing Crosby film set.

  

Christmas 2015, and our home is bright, cheerful, and in the mood for celebration.  The relaxing scents of festive candles will soon be filling the air, presents for all are piling up under the tree, and the Christmas china is ready for its first outing.  The Radio Times sits poised on the coffee table, the chocolate biscuits lie ready in the kitchen, and there's a sense that with only one more week of work to get through, we're almost on holiday time... and I for one cannot wait!

2 comments:

  1. What beautiful pictures of your Christmas decorations. The special mention of my love for nutcrackers made me laugh. They remind me of all the romantic Christmas markets in Germany, growing up close to the alpine region and seeing them everywhere. They are also displayed in large collections at Christmas villages such as Rothenburg ob der Tauber and towns in the Erzgebirge. Seeing the lego nativity also brings back so many memories and I think most of us, no matter the age, would still be playing with them given the chance. I have seen many types of nutcrackers in stores and malls here in Houston over the last few years. The trends for Christmas decorations seem to change from year to year, but the nutcrackers are ever present. Many of them are imported from Europe and stand out in their beauty and quality. We will take a few Christmas pictures as well and hope to finally bring my husbands art blog up to date. I will send the link eventually. Just wanted to say hello and let both of you know how much enjoyment you bring your readers with your blog entries, travel writings, historical information, the garden updates and always accompanied with the most gorgeous pictures. We thoroughly enjoy your blog as well as your mums. It makes me so happy to see pictures of Christmas decorations, I think the nostalgia of times gone by makes many of us want to recreate this blissful Christmas feeling for our own children and grandchildren. I especially enjoy decorations that are collected over many years, all colorful and different, each telling a story. Some of the most treasured items on our tree are crafts our son made as a small child. Wishing you and your family a Merry Christmas, Peace, Health, and Happiness throughout the New Year! Elle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your message Elle, it's great to know you're still following this blog! Nutcrackers are my favourite Christmas decorations - although I think the offering in the UK this year has been quite poor, so I haven't added to my collection. I've googled Rothenburg ob der Tauber and it looks very beautiful, just like a postcard. I have been to the markets in Munich - I thought it was a lovely city. I also think that Christmas decorations tell a story, and I love getting them out and remembering where they all came from. Some of ours used to hang on the tree when I was a child, and many of them date to before I was born. It's lovely to think that they've been hanging on our family's Christmas trees for so many years. Oh yes, please do send your husband's blog link when it's updated, I'm very interested in having a read.

    I hope you have a very Merry Christmas too, and thank you for following my little blog this year :)

    ReplyDelete