Saturday 15 December 2012

Christmas Ideals

December is here, bringing with it the usual Christmas cheer.  The streets are packed with shoppers, the radio is jammed with festive tunes, trees are going up all over the world.  As Andy Williams said, it's the most wonderful time of the year.

In recent years my family and I have cut back on the over-the-top indulgence that so easily grabs people through the festive season.  Instead, we tend to focus on what is important in our lives - family, friends, home, unity and togetherness.  Presents - and, of course, there are presents - are the mere sideshow to the warmth and pleasure of a family Christmas.

It is perhaps these messages that come through most when looking at the idyllic painter, Thomas Kinkade.  His range is extensive, but I particularly like to look up his work at this time of year - his winter paintings fill me with a Christmas ideal that both homely and wonderfully nostalgic.  From the big city to the country tracks, I can imagine myself in any of these scenes, in a time where the pleasures of life were both simpler and more meaningful.  Which is your favourite?


Christmas at the Ahwahnee
Christmas on Main Street
Evening Carolers
I'll be Home for Christmas
Hometown Christmas Memories
Blessings of Christmas
Boston Celebration
Christmas in New York
Deer Creek Cottage
Home for the Holidays
Night Before Christmas
Victorian Christmas

1 comment:

  1. Oh my, it is hard to choose. I think it has to be the Evening Carolers! ;-)

    ReplyDelete