Sunday 16 August 2015

High Rippon Tor

I tramp o'er the moors in the fresh morning air,
The breeze in my face, so bracing and rare.
Deep golden gorse amidst heather I saw,
Whilst climbing "up over" high Rippon Tor.


The track through the bracken on velvety turf,
Grey rocks, lichen-cover'd, and red-brown earth,
Wild shaggy ponies that graze on the moor
Watch me climb "up over" high Rippon Tor.


Whortle berries brushed with purple-hued bloom,
Their leaves vivid scarlet, and all attune
With ling and trefoil bespangling the moor
Like a patchwork carpet o'er Rippon Tor.


The views from the crest are a joy to behold,
Peak'd hills and far distant tors they enfold,
The sun-touched sea shines all bright like ore,
As I stand right atop of Rippon Tor.
Violet Francis

4 comments:

  1. We enjoy reading your beautiful blog very much. It's well written with lots of gorgeous photos, one of the very best we have come across. The garden pictures are among my absolute favorites, also looking forward to the yearly appearance of the ever growing nutcracker collection. Thank you so much for sharing and adding all these wonderful stories to it. Lots of Love to both of you all the way from Texas, Elle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elle,
      Thank you so much for your lovely comment – it means a lot to know you enjoy reading my blog. Rest assured there will be plenty more news from the garden as we move into autumn, and I’ll be scouting around for another nutcracker to add to the collection come winter – stay tuned for more! Do you keep a blog? Thanks very much for dropping by, really made me smile :)

      Delete
  2. My husband has an art blog for which he has had very little time as of late. But as soon as he is able to update it somewhat and add his latest works of art to it I will send the info so you can check it out. I myself don't have one at the moment. We adore your blog as well as your moms blog, I look at it almost every day. Everything is written so beautifully, its very interesting and informative such as the updates while you are on your travels in the UK and abroad. Your blog is outstanding, I hope more people will find it so they can enjoy all the lovely pictures and excellent writing. Please forgive any mistakes with my english as I am actually german but now live in the states. It might be late fall before my husband can update the blog, but I will send the info for sure. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elle, sorry forgot to add name before sending my reply.

    ReplyDelete