Sunday 22 May 2016

A Bug's Life

What's creeping in the undergrowth this week at Oak Tree Drive?  Most probably it's slugs and snails, the bane of my life these last few weeks, for they destroy everything, from my tender argyranthemums to my aspiring sunflower plants.  Even my mint has been ravaged, which is a new one on me, so these last few nights, I've taken to the garden armed with torch and trowel, to try and remove a few of the hungry little beasts from my garden.  It wasn't all slugs, however, as last night saw the return of a powerful ally and lifelong friend of the gardener, the slow worm.  A prolific slug-eater - thank goodness, maybe some of my plants will be allowed to come into flower after all.

An adult slow worm

We've seen all manner of creepy-crawlies recently, many of which are a tell-tale sign of May.  Last week, a cockchafer - or May bug - flew through the bathroom window, the first I've seen for many years, instantly recognisable by the aggressive sound of its buzzing.  The May bug is, of course, a quite harmless, clumsy little thing.  The six leaves on its unique antennae showed that this one was a female (males have seven.)  We've also been visited by a couple of scarlet lily beetles, which are apparently attracted to fritillaries, a few of which I popped into the garden a couple of months ago.  The beetles squeak when feeling threatened, to shock and frighten a predator such as a bird, or unsuspecting gardener!


A May bug in the bathroom
Scarlet lily beetles on the stem of a fritillary

Last week, we took a walk over the hills of South Devon, to the village of Coffinswell (see my October 2015 blog for more on that village.)  It was a stunning blue-skied day, and butterflies were out in force, with orange tips, red admirals, and large-and-small whites fluttering over the fields and around the hedgerows, visiting the abundant stitchwort, red campion and bluebells.  Our enjoyment was complete on the return walk, when a damselfly drifted lazily across the air - a "beautiful demoiselle," one of only two species of damselfly to have coloured wings, which grow more metallic with age.  From what I have learned, this particular individual is an immature male - although what it was doing in our neck of the woods is less clear, for this is a species that favours fast-flowing streams and rivers.


Male orange-tip butterfly
A "Beautiful Demoiselle" damselfly

The diversity that can be found in the garden or just on the doorstep is amazing at this time of year, so much so that I haven't even got around to giving a garden update.  All of that - including the first appearances of greenfinches, bullfinches and woodpeckers on our plot - will have to wait until next time!

2 comments:

  1. The beauty of nature! If only people opened their eyes they would see so much more! Didn't you have a Cockchafer in your old bedroom ? I see to recall that! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I once had one fly through the window, many years ago - it scared the hell out of me at the time. Since then I've probably only seen a handful. This one was a real beauty!

      Delete