Thursday 21 November 2019

35 going on 18

So I've hit 35, and for some reason it has been feeling a little bit like my emotions have gone into the ring with Mike Tyson. Something about the milestone has pushed me into reflection and thoughfulness, and made me more-than-usually concious of how life has played out so far. Halfway to 70 just feels like the right time to stop, take stock, evaluate, and iron out any of the remaining questions. It's pointless of course, I'm here regardless and don't think I'd have done anything differently anyway, especially now I've been married to a wonderful woman for a year, have been a homeowner with her for five years, and live a really happy and prosperous life. In line with all Archaeology graduates, I suppose I'm just prone to nostalgia and looking back - it's a character flaw, but one I'm simply stuck with.

So as it feels like a new chapter is beginning, it got me to thinking about what I'd tell my 18-year-old self, if I could grab a time machine destined for 2003. The results, unsurprisingly, revolve around people:

1.  Look after your friendships - it's easy to let them lapse, but they cannot always be salvaged when they're gone.

2.  You can love lots of different people in lots of different ways. Take good care of the ones you love.

3.  If you care about someone, let them know.

4. If something's not meant to be, it's not meant to be. Don't try to force the impossible.

5.  Be quick to apologise for the things you do wrong.

6.  Don't hold onto anger - forgiveness is your biggest healer.

7.  You'll probably get your heart broken - very few people set out to hurt you on purpose, and it doesn't mean they hate you.

8.  Love freely, completely, and with all your heart - it's the only way to hit the highs.

9. Hardly anyone will touch your life in a deeply meaningful way, so savour the moments you share with the ones that do.

10. Some people are always worth it.

2 comments:

  1. ...From someone who said to me...‘Don’t look back, look forward, mum!’ I pass those words to someone every week...so now I’m going to pass them back to you! 😁

    ReplyDelete