Tuesday 24 December 2019

Merry Christmas (a tale of two film quotes)

And here we are again, Christmas Eve, poised once more on the brink of the western world's biggest day of the year. I've been lucky enough to have an extended break from work this year, and have spent the time seeing friends, lingering in churches, and watching the usual array of classic films - most recently, Frank Capra's inimitable It's A Wonderful Life, charting the hard-luck life of George Bailey, who despite his best efforts and ambitions seems destined never to leave the one-horse town of Bedford Falls.

One or two people think I've gone a little bit mad recently, as I've been trying to strengthen some of my friendships, and repair others that have fallen away a little bit in recent times. It's actually another of my favourite festive films, Scrooged, that contains the line: "that's the one good thing about regret - it's never too late. You can always change tomorrow if you want to." This line rings especially true to me, this Christmas, and is something upon which to act.

Back to the trials of George Bailey, who as most readers will know, reaches the very end of his tether, as life deals him a cruel blow. His salvation, as he stands on the very edge of a bridge and considers ending it all, comes in the form of an angel-made-flesh, Clarence Odbody, who reveals to George just how the life of the townspeople would be different, had George never been born. George comes to realise just how much he loves being alive, even if he has spent life stuck in boring old Bedford Falls. It turns out that life isn't really about the places, the career, the material things, or any of the plans you make to be the best this, or the most successful that. It's actually all about the people with whom you share your one-and-only time on Earth, as evidenced at the very end of the film, where Clarence's scrawled handwriting gives us the unforgettable final conclusion of the story: "no man is a failure, who has friends".

I suppose the point I'm trying to make is that, like George Bailey, I'm grateful for the wonderful people who inhabit my life, who make each day liveable, and who I'm sure would be there in my hour of greatest need. So if you've heard from me this Christmas (and a few of you have), then it's because I care about you - and about us. It might be that our relationship is in great shape; or maybe it needs a little work. Then again, perhaps we need to hit the reset button altogether. Whatever the sitiation, this Christmas I'm pretty glad you're in my life, and more determined than ever to make sure you stay in it for the long-haul. Afterall, I don't want to be a failure, or live a life of regret, and I'd like to shape tomorrow for the better, if it's in my power to do so. Will you join me?

Whoever is reading this, be you old friend or casual blog browser, I wish you a happy, peaceful, loving and blessed Christmas. May you find the true meaning of the season (hint: it's not wrapped up under the tree) and spend as much of it as possible with the ones you love.

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful words!
    Have a very happy Christmas!
    🎄😁🎄😁🎄😁🎄😁🎄😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Hope you've had a very Merry Christmas ;) X

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Louise! Merry Christmas, hope you've had a great time :) X

      Delete