Wednesday 4 December 2019

How to lose friends and influence noone - a cautionary tale

So it's fair to say that we've had our ups and downs over the years, and I suppose like all slightly tempestuous relationships, there are the storms.  I guess this time the storm washed away the foundations.

For what it's worth, I'm sorry for my role in it.  The truth is that life got in the way too much in the last few years - so much to do, so many unplanned obstacles - that I neglected our friendship too much. You may not be blameless either, but that's not the object of what I'm writing here - fair to say that when each of us came to apologise, as we have both done, we found the other was not interested in listening.

Should we meet now, you'd find me much calmer, warmer, more giving maybe, a bit more at peace with the world.  Perhaps you'd even like me still!  Maybe you'd be interested to learn about my life over the last few years, as I would yours.  If only life worked in such a way that friendships could be frozen at their peak, and thawed out later, once we had ironed out some of our imperfections and immaturities.  Then maybe you'd greet me in your familiar way, perhaps a hug, some minor pleasantries, then down to doing what we always did best, taking pleasure in the small things we saw around us, or found in the company of each other.  If only times like that, with people like you, could last forever in anything other than memory.  Perhaps if we'd have looked after one another better in reality, they could.

I offered to come up and buy you lunch recently - it was just my final throw to try and hammer out all that has passed.  If you fancy it then you have my number, the offer won't expire and you will always receive warmth and kindness from me.  But if instead our paths of friendship have finally parted for good, then I wish you nothing by happiness as you navigate your life.  For all the good times Lucy, and for whatever happens next - I may have left it too late this time, but at least I can say that I tried.

Nich X