Thursday 3 December 2020

The Christmas kitchen I

 So really this is a follow-on from the last blog.  As I mentioned, I've been spending a lot of time in the kitchen lately, especially on my Wednesdays off work, where I've been busy producing pies and soups for lunches and teas.  On my last Wednesday off, I decided to get ahead a little bit with Christmas dinner, by making the Christmas gravy.  I use a Jamie Oliver recipe (more or less) which really hits the spot, in my opinion.  

I start by boiling up the carcass of the roast chicken we had for dinner last weekend - I always make stock from the chicken bones, it's a brilliant way to get as much use as possible from the bird, which I think is the most respectful thing you can do.  Simply pull the carcass apart and place it into a large pan, cover with water and boil for a good couple of hours.  

Next, roughly chop a handful of carrots, a few celery sticks and two onions, and throw into a pot, along with a good helping of sage, rosemary and a couple of bay leaves.  You can also add some good quality smokey bacon of you want.  Jamie chucks in star anise, but I despise the stuff so out it stays for me.  Drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper, then give it a good hour in the oven.

Once it comes out the oven the veg should be tender and smell beautiful. I remarked to myself how this was enough of a meal in its own right, like a pot of winter goodness.  Put it on the hob on a low heat, and if you can resist the temptation to eat it all, get a potato masher and mash the contents.  I took time to mash it really well - the mushier the better.  Once its a total mush, add four tablespoons of flour, stir it in well, then give it five minutes or so to lightly fry.  If you want to add sherry or port, Jamie Oliver says to do it at this stage, though I didn't bother.

Once it's had a few minutes to fry, add your chicken stock, straining it through a colander so you catch all the bones.  You may also need to top-up with boiling water, so you're about 1cm from the top of the pan.  The whole thing now needs at least half an hour on the hob - bring it to boil, and then just let it simmer, stirring occasionally.  The stock will absorb so many of the flavours released from your mashed veg (it's making me hungry just writing this).  After half an hour or so, the gravy should have thickened and should smell and taste wonderful - this is where I get a spoon and have a taste.  I then add three teaspoons of cranberry sauce, stirring it in well.  Finally, strain the gravy through a sieve, making sure you push lots of the flavour through with the back of your spoon.  And voila!  You have Christmas gravy.

I made mine early this year because a). I want to get ahead of the game, and b). I had celery at home, and didn't want it to go to waste (neither of us can stand the stuff in any other form so it is not a regular feature, but its pepperyness is perfect for gravy.)  So off the gravy goes in a big Tupperware box, into the freezer for the next three weeks, ready for the big day itself - beautiful!

The kitchen really is the heart of the home, so I might share a few more recipes over the festive season, as I discover them.  In the meantime, we also added a couple of festive touches to the kitchen sideboard - I can't wait to see those platters stacked high with mince pies!

4 comments:

  1. I love tasty gravy! I have done similar in the past but I also add a blade of mace ..but if you haven’t got that then a pinch of nutmeg is fine. Gorgeous! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember some of your tasty gravies in the past. It's the type of gravy I aim for! (except for the Christmas you threw it all over the kitchen, of course!)

      Delete
    2. LOL...I slipped! I blame the slippers!

      Delete
    3. LOL...I slipped! I blame the slippers!

      Delete